TWIN FALLS – Monday, April 10 the TFSD #411 Board of Trustees approved slight changes to the 2017-18 calendar they had previously approved in January. This change gives students and teachers Presidents’ Day, February 19, off and schedules a teacher training day when students do not attend school on February 20. To maintain the number of instructional days, December 21 has been added back as a full school day.
This change was recommended by the TFSD Calendar Committee, which works annually to draft a calendar for the upcoming school year and features representatives from all buildings and the community. The calendar was developed with an academically based rational. Some of the considerations the calendar committee has utilized to develop this calendar are as follows:
- Teachers will have more instructional time with students before important tests such as ISAT, SAT, Spring IRI, etc. are given in the spring, and less time after testing.
- Aligns more closely with CSI’s starting and ending dates for our students taking dual credit courses from CSI. Dual credits save parents a lot of money on credits with the State appropriations of funds.
- Starting school early helps with the timing of AP course testing.
- Meets the overwhelming requests from staff to end 1st semester at Christmas break.
- Teacher training days are set towards the beginning of the year so teachers can retain and implement what they learned right away.
- Student testing, junior boards, and senior projects take up some instructional time during the second semester which helps offset imbalance between semesters.
- Maintains as many 5 instructional-day weeks as possible.